How Will My Property be Divided?

A Columbus Lawyer Can Help

For an uncontested divorce or dissolution of marriage to occur, the division of property must be mutually agreed upon by both spouses. If such an agreement cannot be reached, the state will intervene. In the case of Ohio, equitable distribution is the standard employed by the court. This does not necessarily mean that each spouse will receive an equal share. Rather, the presiding judge will determine how to most fairly divide the marital property based on the length of the marriage and the relative contributions of each partner.

At Richard L. Morris Co., L.P.A., we can explain your options. Contact us to speak with an experienced attorney!

Help Ensure Your Property is Protected

With so much authority and discretion given to the judge, it is imperative that you have a knowledgeable legal advocate by your side. At Richard L. Morris Co., L.P.A., we have 25 years of family law experience in Columbus and Gahanna. If you're preparing for a divorce anywhere within Franklin County, we can represent your property interests in court.

The following, if acquired during marriage, are considered marital property:

Separate property includes:

  • Property owned prior to marriage
  • Property gained through inheritance
  • The income appreciation of separately-owned property
  • Personal injury settlements

Despite these categorical distinctions, the lines between marital property and separate property can easily be blurred. For instance, if the income appreciation of a separately-owned property benefitted from a marital contribution, that could influence final distribution. Likewise, if a personal injury settlement included compensation for lost wages or medical payments, that could change its property status. Financial misconduct by one of the spouses can also shift a property settlement dramatically.

To schedule a free initial case evaluation with a lawyer at Richard L. Morris Co., L.P.A., call us at (614) 656-4252!


We return inquiries and phone calls within 24 hours.

Tell us more about your case below and we’ll review your case for free.

Get a Free Consultation