Custody Arrangement Modification

Columbus Attorneys Can Assist You

In the state of the Ohio, jurisdiction over the children of divorced parents remains with the court until the child turns 18 years old. Prior to this time, modifications to existing custody arrangements can be made. The parent wishing to modify the custody order must petition the court for modification by filing a formal motion for change.

Because the court does not want to fuel an ongoing tug-of-war between parents over their children, the court's preference is to maintain the status quo. Once an initial child custody verdict has been handed down, the state of Ohio is reluctant to make a change. For a modification of custody petition to be heard, a significant change in circumstances must have occurred or facts that were previously unknown must have been discovered.

Circumstances that could merit a modification of custody include:

  • Parental relocation
  • Instances of domestic violence
  • Arrest or imprisonment

Where older children are involved, his or her own desire for a change in custody arrangements may also compel the court to act. If the court does revisit your child's custody arrangements, the same standard of determination will be used. Whatever arrangement is deemed to be in the best interests of your child is the one that will be established.

Call Us at (614) 656-4252 for Help

At Richard L. Morris Co., L.P.A., we'll both evaluate the merits of your case and help you determine the best course of action for the future. For the last 25 years, clients throughout Franklin County have found our legal advice to be straightforward and to the point-which they appreciate greatly. We work hard; we're accessible. We take every job seriously because we know that it is!

To schedule a free case evaluation at our Columbus office, contact our knowledgeable attorney today.


We return inquiries and phone calls within 24 hours.

Tell us more about your case below and we’ll review your case for free.

Get a Free Consultation